Professor Nikos Hatziargyriou was born in Athens in 1954. He received the Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering from NTUA (National Technical University of Athens) and the MSC and PhD degrees in Electrical Power Engineering from UMIST, Manchester, in 1979 and 1982, respectively. From 1984 he is with the Power Division of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of NTUA, where he is full professor, since 1995. From February 2007 until September 2012 he was Deputy CEO of PPC (Public Power Corporation), responsible for the Transmission and Distribution Divisions, island DNO and the Center of Testing, Research and Prototyping. He is:
- Member of the CIGRE, Chair of Study Committee C6 “Distribution Systems and Dispersed Generation” and convener or member of several Working Groups and Task Forces.
- Fellow Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), member of the Power Engineering and Computer Societies, immediate past chair of the Power System Dynamic Performance Committee and member of several subcommittees and working groups of IEEE.
- Member of the Energy Committee of the Athens Academy
He has also served as:
- Chair of the Association of Hellenic Electricity Undertakings (HELAS)
- Member of the Board of Directors of EURELECTRIC
- Member of the EU Advisory Council of the Technology Platform on Future Power Systems (SmartGrids), chairman of the Working Group on “Generation and Storage”
- Vice-president of the “Centre of Renewable Energy Sources” (CRES)
- Executive Vice-chair of PPC
- Vice-chair of PPC Renewables
- Chair of the Power System Dynamic Performance Committee of IEEE
- For many years Chair of the IEEE Greek Power Chapter and chair of the IEEE Greece Section.
Prof. Hatziargyriou has significant research experience with participation in more than 60 R&DD Projects, in many of them as scientific responsible, e.g. “CARE”, “MORE CARE”, “RISE”, “MICROGRIDS”, “MORE MICROGRIDS”, “MERGE”, etc. He is author of more than 350 publications in international magazines and conference proceedings.