Evangelos Karfopoulos received the Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece in 2006. He received the PhD degree for his research on the "Optimal Management of Electric Vehicles for their efficient and effective integration into electricity networks", in 2017 from the same school. Since 2008, he works as researcher at the Electric Power Devision of NTUA in the e-mobility area, distributed optimization algorithms and java programming. He has actively participated in several European projects (e.g. MERGE, Integral, FastInCharge, Cotevos, SHARQ) and national projects with HEDNO. He has been employed by the Public Power Corporation and the Hellenic Distribution System Operator as researcher on e-mobility aspects and metering specifications.Currently, he is a senior researcher at the Smart RUE research group of NTUA and serves as a tutor in Power System Analysis courses. Moreover, he is external consultant of the HEDNO for e-mobility aspects since 2016. His research interests include development of integrated management systems and techniques for efficient integration of electric vehicles in electricity grids and multi-agent energy systems organized based on distributed management concepts. He is member of IEEE and the Technical Chamber of Greece.
- E. Karfopoulos, N.Hatziargyriou, "A Multi-Agent System For Controlled Charging of a Large Population of Electric Vehicles", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, vol. 28, issue 2, pp.1196-1204, 2013 - DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2211624
- E. Karfopoulos, N. Hatziargyriou, "Distributed Coordination of Electric Vehicles Providing V2G Services", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems,vol 31, issue 1,pp. 329-338, Jan 2016 - DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2395723
- E. Karfopoulos, K. Panourgias, N. Hatziargyriou, "Distributed Coordination of Electric Vehicles Providing V2G Regulation Services", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, vol. 31, issue 4, pp. 2834-2846, 2016 - DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2472957
- Ε. Karfopoulos, Tena, L., Torres, A., Salas, P., Jorda, J.G., Dimeas, A., Hatziargyriou, N., "A multi-agent system providing demand response services from residential consumers", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 120, pp. 163-176,2015 - DOI: 10.1016/j.epsr.2014.06.001
- Ioannis Karakitsios, Ε. Karfopoulos, Nikos Hatziargyriou,"Impact of dynamic and static fast inductive charging of electric vehicles on the distribution network", Electric Power Systems Research, vol 140, pp. 107-115, 2016
- I. Karakitsios, E. Karfopoulos, N. Madjarov, A. Bustillo, M. Ponsar, Dionisio Del Pozo, L. Marengo"An integrated approach for Dynamic Charging of Electric Vehicles by Wireless Power Transfer – Lessons learned from real-life implementation", SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains - V126-8EJ, 2017-01-9076,2017
- Ioannis Karakitsios, E. Karfopoulos, Nikos Hatziargyriou, "An EV management system exploiting the charging elasticity of EV users", Special Issue of DER Journal on Grid Integration of EVs, 2015.
- M. N. Moschakis, E. L. Karfopoulos, E. I. Zountouridou, S. A. Papathanassiou, "On Adaptation of Electric Vehicle and Microgrid Issues to EMC-Power Quality Standards", Electrical and Electronic Engineering Journal, doi: 10.5923/j.eee.20120205.02, 2012
- E. Karfopoulos, C. Marmaras, N. Hatziargyriou: "Charging Control Model for Electric Vehicle Supplier Aggregator", 3rd ISGT Conference, IEEE, Berlin, Germany, Oct. 2012.
- N. Hatziargyriou, J. A. Pecas Lopes, E. T. Bower, K. Strunz, M. Rivier, V. Lioliou, J. Wu, S. Papathanasiou, E. Karfopoulos, A. G. Bordagaray, P. Cabral, C. L Lecum, A. Walsh, K. Kanellopoulos, C. Joyce, N. Hartmann, J. O. Willums, "Impact Of Electric and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles on Grid Infrastructure – Results from the Merge Project", CIGRE Conference, Paris, France, Aug. 2012
- Karfopoulos, E.L.; Voumvoulakis, E.M.; Hatziargyriou, N.," Steady-state and dynamic impact analysis of the large scale integration of plug-in EV to the operation of the autonomous power system of Crete Island", Medpower, 2014
- Karfopoulos, E.L.; Voumvoulakis, E.M.; Hatziargyriou, N.," Energy Management System for fast inductive charging network: The FastInCharge project", Medpower, , 2014
- Karakitsios, I.; Karfopoulos, E.L.; Hatziargyriou, N., "Static and dynamic fast inductive charging: The FastInCharge project concept", Medpower 2014
- N. Hatziargyriou, A. Tsikalakis, E. Karfopoulos, T. Tomtsi, G. Karagiorgis, C. Christodoulou, A. Poullikkas: "Evaluation of Virtual Power Plant (VPP) operation based on actual measurements", 7th Mediterranean Conference and Exhibition on Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Energy Conversion (MedPower), Agia Napa, Cyprus, Nov. 2010
- Ferdowsi, M. ; Karfopoulos, E. ; Unda, I.G. ; Skarvelis-Kazakos, S. ; Papadopoulos, P. ; Abbasi, E. ; Cipcigan, L.M. ; Jenkins, N. ; Hatziargyriou, N. ; Strunz, K.: "Virtual Power Plant Control concepts with Electric Vehicles", 16th International Conference on Intelligent System Application to Power Systems, Hersonisos, Grete Island, Greece, Sept. 2011.
- E. Karfopoulos, P. Papadopoulos, S. Skarvelis-Kazakos, I. Grau, L. M. Cipcigan, N. Hatziargyriou, N. Jenkins, "Introducing electric vehicles in the Microgrids concept", 16thInternational Conference on Intelligent System Application to Power Systems, Hersonisos, Grete Island, Greece, Sept. 2011.
- M. N. Moschakis, E. Karfopoulos, E. Zountouridou, S. Papathanasiou: "Adapting EV-microgrid concepts to European grid standards related to power quality", 16th International Conference on Intelligent System Application to Power Systems, Hersonisos, Grete Island, Greece, Sept. 2011.
- E. Karfopoulos, D. Koukoula, N. Hatziargyriou, "Dual Tariff Charging Control for Large EV Fleets", 1st International Conference on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems, Porto, Portugal, April 2012
- E. Karfopoulos, E. Zountouridou, S. Papathanasiou, N. Hatziargyriou: "High Level Requirements for Smart Meters that will enable the efficient deployment of electric vehicles", E-Energy Conference, Athens, Greece, Oct. 2010
- E. Zountouridou, E. Karfopoulos, S. Papathanasiou and N. Hatziargyriou, "Review of IEC/EN Standards for Data Exchange between Smart Meters and Devices", E-Energy Conference, Athens, Greece, Oct. 2010.
- G. Peppink, R. Kamphuis, K. Kok, A. Dimeas, E. Karfopoulos, N. Hatziargyriou, N. Hadjsaid, Raphael Caire, R. Gustavsson, J. M. Salas, H. Niesing, J. van der Velde, L. Tena,F. Bliek, M. Eijgelaar, L. Hamilton, H. Akkermans, "INTEGRAL: ICT-Platform Based Distributed Control in Electricity Grids with a Large Share of Distributed Energy Resources and Renewable Energy Sources", E-Energy Conference, Athens, Greece, Oct. 2010
- N. Hatziargyriou, E. Karfopoulos, K. Tsatsakis, "The impact of EV charging on the System Demand", Chapter 3 of book entitled "Electric Vehicle Integration into Modern Power Networks", Spinger, ISBN 978-1-4614-0134-6, 2012